Winglica - Aerandria Community
September 01, 2014, 04:02:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

This Month: Goal: $30
Donations: $5 Thank you!
News: To keep abreast on what is happening with the forum (and with other sites under winglica-aerandria), please do connect yourself with any of the social networks (or with all of them!) XD
Twitter: http://twitter.com/winglica
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Winglica-Aerandria-an-Anime-and-Manga-Community/251125930506?ref=nf

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I will NEVER call myself an Otaku.  (Read 1132 times)
TheBlackRose
Ittohei - 3rd Guild

Glomp Meter: +0/-0

Aestvalis Pilot

« on: May 10, 2009, 08:42:37 PM »

Why? A little known fact how the word "otaku" came to be...
WEllll you see...."Otaku" was the last name of a man who raped and murdered several japanese women and he was also obsessed with...anime!
So. I REFUSE, I DECLINE and I will NEVER call myself an Otaku...EVER.
Sure, some people will be like "but that happened a long time ago." The fact still remains though, he killed innocent people...and I will not have anything to do with the name "otaku". I lOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE anime! Like SO MUCH!!! But still, being called an Otaku is just...I think it's stupid to be called one. But whatever, if anyone else wants to be called one they can go ahead. But I won't have any part of it.

Also, I have no idea why I did this...I guess I just felt like it. ^^

« on: May 10, 2009, 08:42:37 PM »

Ichigo Neko
Wingli-ninjas
3rd Pchan Guild

Glomp Meter: +63/-8

I CAN MAGICALLY CHANGE MY AVATAR IN AN INSTANT

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 01:02:04 AM »

Otaku. There is actually often a debate on the meaning of that word. Basically, in Japan, it would be classified as a derogatory term because of several incidents as such. But now, in modern Japanese slang, the term otaku refers to a fan of any particular theme, topic, or hobby. Not just anime.

And plus, with those type of incidents, the "otaku" is usually more obsessed with Lolita or Shota Complex.... which I won't get into. XD; Again, with stuff like that happening, it usually is because the person watched animes that give out wrong meaning. Like a man who killed another, and left a note at the crime scene saying "I am Light." Or something, like that, which refers to Death Note. Or the time, a man killed many, many people because he watched NGE, which he said himself that it convinced him that mankind doesn't deserve to live. And so on, so on.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 01:11:42 AM by Ichigo Neko » Logged

Why yes. Ichi IS a Pokemon Master ftw! D<
AnimeDudess
Winglica Moderator
3rd Pchan Guild

Glomp Meter: +68/-21

Another word for idiot, three letters - YOU! XD

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 02:46:47 AM »

Or the time, a man killed many, many people because he watched NGE, which he said himself that it convinced him that mankind doesn't deserve to live.

Too many people takes what happened in NGE and its movies too seriously. -__-;

Thanks, almighty Syra-sama! <3 Yush, I am teh Winglican Stalker Dog! Hear me sing: I like to move this move this. I like to - MOVE THIS! XD
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 02:46:47 AM »

Ichigo Neko
Wingli-ninjas
3rd Pchan Guild

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 03:16:19 AM »

People are sadistic like that?

Benny
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 09:14:00 AM »

*shrugs* i don't know i watched a zombie movie once and thought zombies really exsisted for my whole childhood but i guess i was child then lol people who kill becasue they saw it off a anime would creep me out (if i ever met them)
Jasmine
Administrator
3rd Pchan Guild

Glomp Meter: +21/-9

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 01:27:13 AM »

For as long as I can remember I have considered myself as an otaku since I've been an anime fan for so long. But then, back then I never knew what the other meaning of the word is besides that I love japanese animation.

Later on when I learned the other meanings of the word, I just didn't mind since I consider it a name and nothing too obsessive about it. I'm not into Lolita or Shota Complex either. I just love anime, that's all. ^^

Darn, I'm babbling XDDD

But then I'm just confused with what is the real meaning of the word.  Sweatdrop

pffft... I need my tea!
Toaster
1st Pchan Guild

Glomp Meter: +17/-3

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 08:52:19 PM »

Again, with stuff like that happening, it usually is because the person watched animes that give out wrong meaning. Like a man who killed another, and left a note at the crime scene saying "I am Light." Or something, like that, which refers to Death Note. Or the time, a man killed many, many people because he watched NGE, which he said himself that it convinced him that mankind doesn't deserve to live. And so on, so on.

It's not just anime. Crazy people are crazy people, and they can get these ideas from anywhere. From Catcher in the Rye to the movie A Clockwork Orange to even the Bible. Crazy people will do what crazy people will do. >>

If you notice this notice you will notice that this notice isn't worth noticing.
Thanatos_Hime
Juuin - 1st Guild

Glomp Meter: +0/-0

WTH?! People die when they are killed?! OH NOEZ!!!

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 06:59:37 AM »

People often misuse the term Otaku... I admit that I didn't know the real meaning of the term.

Westerners think the term 'Otaku' only applies to people who are addicted to Anime and/or Manga. In Japan, Otaku, is a nerd, a cast-off, or people who don't have a socio-life.

Otaku is extremely negative in meaning as it is used to refer to someone who stays at home all the time and doesn't have a life (no social life, no love life, etc) -from urban dictionary Sweatdrop

In places other than Japan, Otaku has a less dire definition.
Vance Finiraldi
Heicho - 5th Guild

Glomp Meter: +4/-3

Staring out through stainless glass...

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 08:55:48 AM »

Yay, someone who hates the term...for all the wrong reasons, but yay! I thought we were a dying bread. ;P

Really though, once I personally learned the actual implied meanings of the term, I stop using it to refer to myself. Crazy people aside, I do not want to take pride in title that implies that I'm shut-in wrapped too tightly my hobbies, willing to even cross moral boundaries by taking upskirt shots of my favorite idols and performing other dubious actions. XD

Ironically, I still have the AIM screenname that uses the word otaku and I'm too lazy to contact all my friends for a screenname chrange. Darn it. XP
Ichigo Neko
Wingli-ninjas
3rd Pchan Guild

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 04:03:53 AM »

This is a very old thread but I just want to say that I like to avoid this word now. I'd rather call myself a nerd/geek rather than otaku. I mean, it's a word that got leaked into western society and lost it's meaning. People call themselves an otaku, trying to state the fact that they're "anime freaks" when it's actually an insult and goes along the lines of "obsessive, socially-inept," and so on. It's pretty stupid how people think it can only relate to anime. XP

tl;dr version: Vance,
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 04:05:39 AM by Ichigo Neko » Logged

Jasmine
Administrator
3rd Pchan Guild

Glomp Meter: +21/-9

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 01:39:30 AM »

*sigh*

It's sad really.

Come to think of it it's just the 'misuse' and 'misunderstanding' of the word that is the issue here. When anime became too mainstream, the term indeed lost some of its charm Sad

pffft... I need my tea!
Ichigo Neko
Wingli-ninjas
3rd Pchan Guild

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 02:07:58 AM »

Calling yourself an otaku is just as ridiculous as saying 'kawaii' or 'baka' amidst an English sentence. Which sadly, I used to do. X'D

None
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 09:35:56 PM »

Dido.

----
So, it sounds ridiculous, refers to sadists, and the mentally insane.
All of which I do not classify myself in. (Go Sadists!)
Of Course,
I used to use the word at one time.
But I went to visit my darling cousin, and she took me to her school's anime club.
OK...
The kids there, well, let's just say, they were...
interesting.  Giggle
I had a hard time escaping once they were told I could speak japanese.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: