Winglica - Aerandria Community
July 26, 2014, 06:08:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

This Month: Goal: $30
Donations: $5 Thank you!
News: We also now accept "Mature" related contents! Read the rules here to proceed! - http://winglicans.com/index.php?topic=5365.0

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What makes a bad story/fanfic?  (Read 1862 times)
Ichigo Neko
Wingli-ninjas
3rd Pchan Guild

Glomp Meter: +63/-8

I CAN MAGICALLY CHANGE MY AVATAR IN AN INSTANT

« on: July 06, 2009, 02:02:51 AM »

Hello, people of Winglica. *wave*

Since I know a few of you that enjoy reading books, fanfictions and etc, I'd like to know what puts you off when reading. What makes a story/fanfic bad? Out-of-character characters? Mary Sues? Long descriptions, repeated words, cliche plot, bad spelling/grammar/punctuation? What makes you MAAAAD?! D:<

Uh... So, I'll leave you guys with that. XD And, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong area. :x

Why yes. Ichi IS a Pokemon Master ftw! D<
« on: July 06, 2009, 02:02:51 AM »

AnimeDudess
Winglica Moderator
3rd Pchan Guild

Glomp Meter: +68/-21

Another word for idiot, three letters - YOU! XD

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 02:12:02 AM »

Bad spelling/grammar/punctuation is definitely one. XD

In fanfics, I don't like it when the characters from the anime/manga/show/etc go out of character, unless it was what the author really intended. D:<

Thanks, almighty Syra-sama! <3 Yush, I am teh Winglican Stalker Dog! Hear me sing: I like to move this move this. I like to - MOVE THIS! XD
Ichigo Neko
Wingli-ninjas
3rd Pchan Guild

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 02:13:33 AM »

Yes, yes. *writes down* I'll keep that in mind. XD Anything else?

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 02:13:33 AM »

AnimeDudess
Winglica Moderator
3rd Pchan Guild

Glomp Meter: +68/-21

Another word for idiot, three letters - YOU! XD

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 02:32:05 AM »

Um... that's kind of it for now. XD;

Thanks, almighty Syra-sama! <3 Yush, I am teh Winglican Stalker Dog! Hear me sing: I like to move this move this. I like to - MOVE THIS! XD
Mikan
Socho - 8th Guild

Glomp Meter: +3/-5

Run from my awesomeness~ xD

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 06:02:17 AM »

Long discriptions... At least when they're boring. i just can't stand reading and reading and not processing at all -freaks out-
Other than that cliches are terrible. But, depending on the situation, they can be very funny as well.
The most terrible are probably WTF?-What-did-you-do-with-meh-bishie-you-(followed by curses)-scenes xD
Oh yes, since almost EVERY character can be interpreted as a Mary Sue you shouldn't worry too much about that. Just be careful to not be too extreme, ok? xD
And tell me if you write something you're proud of, i wanna read it~
Michru Kanzaga
Shosa - 13th Guild

Glomp Meter: +13/-0

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 09:07:22 AM »

I love fanfics!!!!!!! But Grammer is definitely a big turn of for me, I like to see stories where it's obvious the Author has taken care and shows pride in their work.
And not thinking a plot through. I've come across loads of stories where the idea behind them has intigued me but the Author was proberly in to much of a rush to just get it out there instead of developing it to its full potential.

I don't mind out of character...as long as it's plausible. Say the you have a bad ass character but the author decides to make him  sweety with no reason as to why...that really bugs me.

Dance and dance and dance....when the world is falling apart just remember to live!
Jun.
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 04:22:25 AM »

Jun here, new guy.

Sloppy characters, repeated stereotypes, 'beautiful' people, overwhelming talents, unrealistic happenings, implausible storylines, contradictory ideas/thoughts without explanation that the character's a hypocrite and so-on are big turn offs for me. I mean, when it happens, it takes the crap out of me. How can you fall in love within a day? Why would this weak, feeble girl have a voice that can make grown men weep? How could somebody run seventy kilometres in under half an hour? And so on. I know, I know, it's only to add to the dramatic elements of the story, but it's not real.

Be truthful and as natural as is possible. That'll make things flow better; only enlist some of these dramatic elements if necessary. Preferably not, though.

Cheers.
Ichigo Neko
Wingli-ninjas
3rd Pchan Guild

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 05:12:12 AM »

Thanks you guys, your comments are really helping me out. ^^

Toaster
1st Pchan Guild

Glomp Meter: +17/-3

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 09:09:39 PM »

Bad grammar and punctuation. If I have to decipher what you're writing, I'm no longer in the story.

Line breaks too, line breaks are key. I get bored quickly reading long blocks of text.

Poorly written drama. Yes, I know long-lost twins, abusive dads/moms/grandfathers/babies, angsty characters/plots can be written well, and I know I've read some amazing fanfics that centered around that, but the majority are gosh darn awful.

And Mary Sues. Yes, as Mikan said, all original characters can and will be interpreted by at least someone as being a Mary Sue whether they are or not. I have nothing against original characters, some can be frickin' hilarious when added to the main cast. All I ask is that they be fleshed out characters.

And, while I can tolerate properly handled out-of-characterness, like if I'm really into the story or the concept or the writing or w/e and it's not a far reach from the original character, if a fanfic author manages to keep their characters in-character that just looks impressive and reflects the skill of the author. In other words, Brownie points! ^_^

If you notice this notice you will notice that this notice isn't worth noticing.
Siluna
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 05:30:08 PM »

I don't like it when the drama appears to be rushed.   Understandable when the scene is fast-paced, but there's fast-paced and then there's "what was that?"  It's even worse if that happens with the story's climax because I'm left with the feeling of wanting more.
Miyuki-tan
Juuin - 1st Guild

Glomp Meter: +0/-0

Um. Hi? :'D

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 03:05:23 PM »

Um, well. Okay so, for fan fictions, bad punctuation/grammar/spelling, original characters because it's not a fan fiction if there's something that's not part of the series of whatever the fan fiction is for (by 'not part of the series' I didn't mean you can't change the plot and make it an alternate universe. 'Kay? I'm just talking 'bout characters), Mary Sues, characters that are out-of-character 'cause it ruins the fanfic, fan fictions that are rushed, especially if it's super obvious because it just gets annoying, long descriptions and repeated words, I mean really, it's not a good fanfic just because you're paragraphs are long, it's unnecessary and I don't like reading it 'cause it gets boring, cliche plot too because it's just stupid (sorry if that was mean. D:), when you can tell that the author didn't put much thought into their fanfic (like the plot and stuff), when the story just doesn't flow right, too much dialog and not enough descriptions, I mean like, when all the fanfic has is dialog and hardly any descriptions or, well, I don't remember what it's called but it's like MSN talk or something (I hope that made sense), and it's just super annoying when the author has a really good plot idea but it's written horribly (That may have been really mean but it's the truth. Mhm).

And~ That's all I can think of for now. Yup. :3

For books and stuff, when the story is fantasy but they don't have original creatures, like if they have dwarfs or elves, And I have to go now so when I get back I'll update this and add to it, 'Kay? :]

I'd like to be an editor for this place here, but I'm still practicing. I hope to be one soon, though! ^^
Ichigo Neko
Wingli-ninjas
3rd Pchan Guild

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 12:19:53 AM »

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'll make use of them fo'shoor. XD

Dire_
Nitohei - 2nd Guild

Glomp Meter: +0/-0

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2009, 10:58:25 AM »

Bad grammar and punctuation. Yeah. That's a major issue for me as well.

Pull me out, out from under On the cycle back to You
amelia
Winglica Moderator
Chujo - 17th Guild

Glomp Meter: +16/-13

this makes perfect nonsense.

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2009, 02:51:46 PM »

I absolutely despise it when there's NO character development. I want the characters to change, gosh darn it. D:<

I also don't like misspelled anything.. or bad grammar, unless it's a person's way of speech. (Like a country accent, or something.)

Mary sues actually don't bother me that much. As long as they aren't, like, perfect.
I mean I actually like tohru honda. > >;

d r e a m  a  l i t t l e ❞[/co
Jasmine
Administrator
3rd Pchan Guild

Glomp Meter: +21/-9

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2009, 08:48:49 PM »

Ooooh, I don't mind novel-like stories as long as they have good character development and good twists! Giggle

pffft... I need my tea!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: