Winglica - Aerandria Community
April 23, 2014, 10:36:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

This Month: Goal: $30
Donations: $5 Thank you!
News: We also now accept "Mature" related contents! Read the rules here to proceed! - http://winglicans.com/index.php?topic=5365.0

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Christmas in Japan [School Project]  (Read 1020 times)
Atsu-chan
« on: December 15, 2007, 05:11:51 PM »

Christmas in Japan
                                                    By Casey Kuster

In Japan, Christmas isn't very different from ours. The only problem is that only around 1% of all Japanese people are Christians. Buddhism is the main religion there. But despite that, everyone celebrates Christmas.

Christmas is believed to be the time of year in Japan where Romance is all around! It is the time of year to be close to your wife, girlfriend, husband or boyfriend.

Christmas is also known as the time of Happiness in Japan. It is a time when families get together and dress up, ready to open presents and await for the Japanese Santa Claus, called 'Santa Kuroshu.'

Santa Kuroshu is a Buddhist monk, who has eyes on the back of his head, so he can watch all children and make sure no one misbehaves. Santa Kuroshu is an elderly man who carries a sack around his shoulder and walks to each home, instead of flying.

One of the customs that Japanese people have for the Christmas season, are Christmas Cakes. They are often made out of Strawberries, Cream and Bread. Bakeries often have them in their front windows, allowing everyone to see the beautiful and delicious cakes. They think it's strange that Americans don't have Christmas cakes.

Food that is eaten during Holiday season in Japan is very unusual. They often have Turkey or Chicken, thus causing it to be the busiest time of year at KFC and other places that sell Chicken or Turkey!

One custom they do share with us Americans, are decorating Christmas trees. But in Japan, trees were hard to come by. It wasn't until recently that they began to decorate trees every year. For ornaments, Japanese men, women and children decorate the tree with small toys and dolls, gold paper fans, lanterns, and wind chimes. The most popular ornament is an 'Origami Swan.' Christmas trees are also put up in hospitals the help drive the spirits away from sick people.

They also put up Evergreen and Mistletoe. They are hung on the ceiling. Tinsels and lights are hung in dance halls, cafes and pinball parlors (Which is where a lot of people go to during the Holiday season).

Another custom is for Japanese people to sing Christmas carols. They sing the same ones Americans do. But the most popular song is Silent Night, sung in English. Another popular song is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony, which isn't really a Christmas song at all!

The Nativity story about Jesus's Birth is very fascinating to little girls in Japan, mainly because most Japanese girls love anything to do with babies! One scene in the Nativity story is very familiar to the Japanese and that is when Jesus is placed in the cradle. That's because Japanese babies don't sleep in cradles.

((Ehehe..still working on it a bit..))

« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 05:17:27 PM by Atsu-chan » Logged
« on: December 15, 2007, 05:11:51 PM »

Anemone-
Warned!
2nd Pchan Guild

Glomp Meter: +16/-6

Love is in the air, or is that exhuast fumes

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 05:52:04 PM »

Whoa....you have to have that for school? i'm sure you'll get a good grade

Sometimes your parents worry when you swallow change. I don't see anything wrong with it. I mean about half the food we eat is 10 times worse then coins. But if my kid swallows a quarter and shits out 2 dimes and a nickel then I'll start worrying
Akari
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 06:51:10 PM »

Mm, wow...I never knew exactly how they did X-mas there.  Sweatdrop

Nice, Atsu-chii, I think you'll get a good grade. XD
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 06:51:10 PM »

Skia
Taisa - 15th Guild

Glomp Meter: +12/-5

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 04:43:34 AM »

They go to KFC. xD

I wish there was a KFC here. Sad

So testosterone boys and harlequine girls, will you dance to this beat and hold a lover close?
emochild
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 04:44:46 AM »

lol, that is really good!
AsprngWrtrFrvrDrmr
Juuin - 1st Guild

Glomp Meter: +1/-0

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 04:45:32 AM »

That's so good! You'll defo get an A for it.

Does anyone else find their Santa scary? I mean eyes in the back of his head! That;s just creepy! *runs away and hides*

I don't get BBC. Computers don't like me.
emochild
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 08:59:40 AM »

he knows when you are sleeping, he knows when your awake...creeper!!!!!
AsprngWrtrFrvrDrmr
Juuin - 1st Guild

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 03:32:39 PM »

he knows when you are sleeping, he knows when your awake...creeper!!!!!
No no NO! I've been good honest! Really really good!!! *cries with fear*

emochild
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 03:33:44 PM »

Santa: NOW STAY ON TOPIC, you've been naughty by going off track.

This project will definitly get a A+
AsprngWrtrFrvrDrmr
Juuin - 1st Guild

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 03:38:44 PM »

Santa: NOW STAY ON TOPIC, you've been naughty by going off track.

This project will definitly get a A+

Sorry. I'm terrible for doing that. I'll be good from now on and stay on topic. *solemn face*

emochild
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 03:40:32 PM »

Atsu-chan, how long did it take you to do this project?
Atsu-chan
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 03:45:30 PM »

Atsu-chan, how long did it take you to do this project?

an hour...from research, writing it and finding the nice map.
emochild
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 03:46:23 PM »

WOW O.o that's some dedication!
Razril
Aerandria Staff
Juuin - 1st Guild

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2007, 03:18:29 PM »

Your report is 100% true. XD

When I was in Japan I spent christmas eating...guess what... strawberry cake AND KFC's special "christmas chicken" (yes, they have a special one just for christmas). XD

Let me help you a bit more. ^^

Christmas in Japan is more of a romantic holiday than a family day. Most couples usually have a romantic dinner at some fancy restaurant, much like how it is in Valentine's day in the west. Though those without lovers usually spend it with their friends/family. XD It isn't as big of a holiday there (Valentine's day is actually bigger). Half of my friends actually worked on Christmas and it was no big deal--Christmas isn't a national holiday there. People work.

Most people don't know about the nativity, the story behind Christmas, nor any of its ties with religion. None of my friends knew who "Joseph" and "Mary" are. For them it's just a time where everything is decorated with bright lights and santa clause. Japanese aren't Catholics, after all. No "santa coming down the chimney" tradition from the kids, either. Some kids know it because of TV, but it's not practiced as much. The concept of exchanging gifts is known, but isn't practiced as much. Let's just say more people give out chocolates on Valentine's day than gifts during the Christmas season. 

I think the only reason christmas is celebrated that largely in Japan is cause it's close to new year...and new year is extremely
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 03:21:58 PM by Razril » Logged

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea
Atsu-chan
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 02:25:20 PM »

Okay, I haven't replied for a long time. xD I got an A+ and everyone liked it! =D
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: